Pages

Tuesday 1 January 2013

A Review: NARS Multiple in Portofino

A few months ago I was interested in dipping my toes into the alter universe of blushes- cream blushes. It almost seems as if regular powder blushes would feel the way about cream blushes as Santa and his elves do about the South Pole. Two things sounding so similar, yet are the world apart. So as I was going from counter to counter applying and covering up many cream blushes from across the board of brands. From potted to compact, to coming out of a tube to a solid modern packaging. The decision was close, but I proudly and confidently walked out of The Bay with my first NARS product, NARS Portofino Multiple.

Oh alright, so it isn't your classic cream blush- I maybe cheated a little. But whoever said 'cheaters never prosper' because I definitly did.

This line of blushes- er, products is quite unique. The can be used for your eyes, lips and face- heck anywhere you wanna put them. They come in a range of colours from highlighting to blush tones. The colours that are more fixated to highlighting can easily be used as an eyeshadow, face hightligher for your cheek bones, cupids bow, and nose, but can also be used to streamline your legs and shoulders. Sounds like a miracle worker hey? Too bad it won't perform a miracle to your wallet. My beloved NARS Multiple rang me in at 46$- I know, but before you stop reading on, indulge me for a minute while I explain how I justified this purchase.

So the colour I went for is more along the deep coral side almost into a fiery orangey pink. It does have a slight sparkle to it- and I myself am not a huge fan of sparkly cheeks because I am one to prefer the more natural look, but oddly enough, I love the slight sparkle. The colour is great- it's gives you a healthy 'glow' one that looks like you just took a run or the butterflies in your stomach flew up to give your cheeks a little flush.









Now, for my weapons of choice. There are two brushes and three ways that I have found to work to apply this product. The one I have been going for the most is with a brush, swirled around the blusher and applied. I find this to be the easiest and least messy way to apply it. The two brushes I have been going back and forth with are one MAC 168SE angled brush (with the pink head from the holiday collection) or a Joe Fresh blush brush (sold only in Canada I believe) and you can get it from Superstore, and is surprisingly good quality (future blog post). You can also apply the stick directly to your cheek and blend it in with your fingers or brush (my other favourite way) or you can apply it to your fingers first, then to your cheeks. I don't prefer this way because you loose a lot of the pay off from your fingers to your cheeks.
Mac 168SE, Joe Fresh Blush Brush

Let's talk blendability and wearability. I have found that it does blend to be quite sheer when you use your fingers, but more pigmented when you use a brush because the colour doesn't transfer to your fingers. It blends so well and is really a no fuss situation. The colour Portofino, is a very wearable everyday kind of colour because it leans in towards the more sheer side of the pigmintation scale. Goes very well with a natural eye, or a smokey eye. This is my go-to blush.

When you first pick it up you may seem like, dang, this isn't a lot of product for my just about 50$ blush, but have no fear, a little goes a long way. I use mine religiously for a good 9 months and I've used up maybe a cm. I don't know how that works- but I sure am glad it does.

Overall, I would reccomend you this blush. The wearablity is great, consistancy is a charm and colour hits it home. I can't speak for the other colours in this line, I have yet to try more, and I am thinking in the near future my lonely Portofino will have a little friend.

- Madi




No comments:

Post a Comment