Pages

Wednesday 2 January 2013

A Review: Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Gel Liner

I have tried two types of eyeliners in my life, pencil and gel. I started off with the classic sharpening pencil, then to the mechanical twisty kind to a pot and brush. And that is where this review begins. I was introduced to the Maybelline's Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in brown over two years ago as it was the neglected product in my mothers makeup drawer. Neglected not because it was bad, but because my mom is on the more- dramatic side of things, and brown eyeliner is my favourite. Since then, I've been hooked.

Very accessible, application is very easy (even for a shaky hand like me), lasts for a very long time (give or take 24hrs) - long enough for me, easy consistency, doesn't dry out fast, and good for your wallet at ringing in only $10.00.

So it comes with .106 OZ or 3g of product and small application brush- which is actually very good. The product claims to be completely waterproof and smudge proof. It is for the most part- it will be if you avoid rubbing your eyes, and it is most definitely smudge proof. For me, it stays close to perfect from 6:30 in the morning to 9:30 at night, with little fading. I have never had trouble with this eyeliner ending up giving me racoon eyes or it ever falling beneath my lash line.

The two colours I have tried are Brown and Eggplant (the purple shade). You get a very fine and precise line, that can be built up to be as dramatic as you want. Both colours are very pigmented and smoke out beautifully. Brown is a very matte shade, no sparkle or shimmer there- which makes it the best everyday colour, it subtly defines your eyes without looking too overboard.


 Eggplant or Aubergine is a beautiful plumy purple, that is also very subtle with a bit of sparkle in it. Nothing too crazy, but definitely a nice sheen. What I have to say about this one is the exact same as Brown, I love it, lasts for a very long time with minimal touch ups, very pigmented and very easy to apply.

The other great thing about this liner is that once you put it on, you have about three minutes till it completely dries, so that gives you tons of grace to correct anything- it's truly a life saver.

I want to mention the steps I do my makeup to ensure that it dries completely. The only problem I had with this is I would put on and perfect my beautiful cat eyeliner, then I'd go to curl my eyelashes- then what the heck! It was all gone except for the one little wing coming from no where. If it doesn't dry completely, it will transfer and it will smudge! Once it's dry, it's as sure as heck aint going no where. So first I conceal eyes and prime them, then I do my eyeshadow then apply the liner. Here is where I suggest you finish the rest of your face or brows or whatever you have to do, then finish with curling your lashes and applying mascara to ensure that the liner that you worked on is sure to stay there.



Pro's:
- long lasting
- rang of colours
- comes with a very good brush
- good consistency (creamy)
- stays put!
- drugstore, about $10.00

Con's
- takes a few minutes to dry
- hard to remove without makeup remover

Here is my last tip for this post- If you accidentally leave the lid off, it will dry out a little bit, but a quick fix is to add just a drop of water, put the lid on and leave it, if there is still some water in the morning, just take a brush and mix it in a little and - wa la! All better.

I know a lot of people that say they love a product after a week of use- bear in mind this is one of my all time favourite products- I've gone through 3 in total and never go a day without wearing it. I highly recommend this product to you- it has most definitely earned it's spot in my 'Products I can't live without' list,and you can bet the minute I see mine running low, I'll be running out to the nearest drugstore to buy a replacement.



 -Madi

No comments:

Post a Comment